For as long as cricket has been played, one of the most important factors responsible for the quality of play and quality of player experience is the surface on which the game is played.
There are four County Groundstaff Associations (CGA’s) in Wales providing support for clubs and their Groundstaff.
The ECB’s Essential Guide to Groundsmanship provides practical guidance for cricket club volunteers on preparing and maintaining your ground Click here for ECB’s Essential Guide.
A network of County Pitch Advisors (CPA’s) provides advice and support throughout Wales via the ECB Pitch Advisory Service. The role of CPA’s is:
- To advise on the quality performance of specific pitches and make recommendations.
- To monitor the developments of any facilities on which recommendations are being implemented.
- Be available, if required, to assess pitches / squares in respect of various league criteria.
- Create a response team for basic assessments (perhaps annual).
- Help build an effective CGA.
For Recommended Guidelines for the construction, preparation and maintenance of cricket pitches and outfields at all levels of the game click here
For a list of recommended minimum grounds maintenance equipment click here
Here's a useful pre-season short film with advice from Glamorgan Cricket's head groundskeeper Robin Saxton