What are the Safeguarding Minimum Standards?

See our page here

What is the role of a Club Safeguarding Officer (CSO)?

It is a mandatory requirement that every Cricket Wales affiliated club and organisation recruit, appoint and train a qualified Safeguarding Officer.

The role is essential to provide a “first point of contact” for everyone within the club for child safeguarding matters, and crucially, to ensure the club is adopting and implementing, the safeguarding activities necessary for it to fulfil its duty of care for children.  All CWO’s receive specialist training to help them understand and implement their role.

What if I have concerns for the welfare of a child?

You MUST do something about it.  If there is an immediate issue, call the police, in an emergency ring 999.  For non-emergencies call the police on 101.

For advice and support please speak with your Club Safeguarding Officer.  Further support is available on the Key Contacts Page.

What if I have concerns for the welfare of an adult?

You MUST do something about it.  If there is an immediate issue, call the police, in an emergency ring 999. 

For non-emergencies, speak with the adult where possible and establish their wishes, work with them to make people safe.  Discuss your concerns with one of the Cricket Wales Safeguarding team.

I am concerned about the conduct of a staff member or coach?

You MUST do something about it.  Cricket Wales and Glamorgan have a joint Whistleblowing Policy.  You can view this here.

You can contact the Cricket Wales/Glamorgan Safeguarding Director Ieuan Watkins at [email protected] or 07971 007431 or the ECB Safeguarding Team 020 7432 1200 or [email protected]

I am a Coach; how do I renew my First Aid?

External First Aid qualifications are acceptable, but they must be of sufficient quality (a minimum of a three hour, practical First Aid delivery – ask for help if you are unsure).

The Cricket Wales staffing team can arrange training in your area, or at your club with sufficient attendees.

I am a Coach; how can I get Safeguarding training?

If you are a qualified UKCC/Level 2 Coach (or above) then you can renew your Safeguarding training by taking the free online Safeguarding Young Cricketers training.  Contact the Area Administrator for your club to arrange:

If you are a Coaching Assistant (Level 1 or equivalent) then a classroom Safeguarding & Protecting Children Course will be needed.  Contact your Area Administrator for advice.

Who needs a DBS at my club?

The ECB list a number of roles that require a DBS, but also a number of roles that do not require a check.  Where people aren’t on either list, there is a flow chart to determine if the individual is performing ‘Regulated Activity’.  Further details can be found on the below links:

Roles in Cricket that Require a Vetting Check 2018

How to determine which roles are regulated activity with children in cricket

How do I keep my club committee informed on Child Safeguarding matters?

The Club Safeguarding Officer should attend Club Management Committee meetings as a member of that Committee by right of the role. Every club should ensure that safeguarding is a mandatory standing item on the committee agenda.

How do I get a DBS for someone at my club?

The DBS platform is now all completed online.  Online verifiers can send an email invitation to individuals needing a DBS check.  The process is fast, efficient and completely free for volunteers.  More detail can be found on the DBS Process and Verifying page.

At what age can my child play adult cricket?

Making the step up from junior to open age group cricket is an important event in any player’s cricket experience. The player’s safety, personal development needs and overall cricket experience must be considered, their welfare is paramount.

Players who are selected in Wales & Regional squads in spring for a summer squad for that season are eligible to play open age cricket.  That is providing they are at least 11 years old, are in School Year 7 on 1st September in the year preceding the season and have written parental consent to play.  This means children who are in Wales & Regional squads, are able to play open age group cricket if they are in an U12 age group and are a minimum of 11 years old on 1st September of the year preceding the season.

Club cricketers who are not in Welsh or Regional squads must wait until they reach the U13 age group, be in Year 8 and be 12 years old on 1st September of the preceding year before being able to play in any open age group cricket.  As before written parental consent is required for these players.

To be clear, selection of a child of tender age to adult cricket is a potential risk and such a decision should not be taken lightly.  Each case must be determined on an individual basis taking into account the players ability and stage of cognitive and emotional maturity to take part in Open Age cricket.

Children who are in Year 9 and 13 years of age on 1st of September of the preceding year are eligible to play without written parental consent and this form need not be completed.

Written consent forms must be completed in advance.  This can be found here.

The minimum age restrictions MUST be followed.


Safeguarding in National & Local COVID-19 Restrictions?

Safeguarding is still a priority,
Whilst you may not be aware of as many new incidents of abuse or poor practice arising in cricket activity during the current lockdown, reports of non-recent incidents, and safeguarding concerns arising shortly before the lockdown, may continue to be received. We may also experience an increase in reporting when activities return. To access further advice and FAQs on this click here


Speak to us Today





Offical Partners

Glamorgan Cricket Sport Wales England Cricket Board The National Lottery Masuri Chance To Shine Lord's Taverners
Your Kid's summer of fun sorted

All Stars & Dynamos Cricket